My Blog List

Friday, February 11, 2011

Roadkill Table

I am
so happy with this makeover, mainly because I didn't spend one dime! It comes with a story too. :) This table was sitting by a fairly heavily traveled road close to our house for days and days this summer. I never could tell what it was because it was broken in two and looked like a shelf of some sort. Well, I never did stop, but one day I noticed it had been turned upright and the top was on it. I just asked Paul if he had happened to see it while out on his morning walks. He said yep, and he was the one that sat it up because he knows how I am about roadside furniture; I just can't pass it up. But he told me it wasn't worth it becaues it was rickety and missing some pieces. Well, I just couldn't live with not even looking at it, so I stopped one day and loaded it on up. Sure enough, it was missing the foot on one leg and the top needed to be reattached. But guess who I have?? My awesome stepdad Mark, who happens to be a great handiman AND has woodworking tools. Next time he was over at my house, I showed him the table. He took it with him, and within less than 24 hours, I was delivered a completely intact table---top attached AND a fixed leg. I was so excited. Anyway it sat in the garage for awhile because it's too small to be a kitchen table and too big to be a side table, so I wasn't sure what to do with it. Well, we've been snowed in for days and I decided it was time for a project. So I got this baby out, sanded it down a bit, painted the top with some off white paint I had and added walnuut stain on TOP of the paint, and I love the way it turned out. Then I used some navy blue color on the legs, and added some stain on them too to give it an uneven look. Right now it's a stand-in until we get a new breakfast table. Going to list on craigslist after that!!