My Blog List

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Furniture Redos






I am TERRIBLE and I do mean terrible at before and after pictures. I have redone so much furntiture; well not SO much but probably 15 pieces, round about and do not have a before and after. Well, I might have one but that'll be in a later post. Here are some afters.

The black small chest of drawers w/pink handles was in combination with the white secretary. They were both cherry with brass handles. My friend sold them both to me for fifty bucks.

The white nightstand I bought at Salvation Army for four bucks. It was HIDEOUS. Really bleached out oak with a country blue painted top. And included the klanky brass handles all chipped and hanging. Not a pretty sight. Got that baby home, cleaned it, sanded it, painted two coats of Krylon white and replaced the hardware. New nightstand for a total of about 10 bucks.

The black chest was given to me; before it was green with grapes on it. I painted it with black craft paint, distressed it randomly with sandpaper and sprayed a light tan finish on top of it to seal and to give the sanded edges a little color. It's one of my favorites.
The white dresser was in my bedroom when i was little. It had actually belonged to our cousins first, I think. It was brown with some really bad knobs on it, but the structure was still good. It had been in my parents' shop for years and I said I wanted it when they were ready to get rid of it. It was in sad shape. I first had to clean the years of spiderwebs and dirt that had accumulated on and in it. Then I sanded the entire thing down. I painted in a slightly glossy white and replaced the ugly brass knobs with crystal ones; you can't even tell it is the same dresser. What I wouldn't do for a picture of the before on that one!
This last one is a secretary I got from a friend; (the one that goes w/the black chest of drawers) Well, kookoobearkids.com is one of my favorite websites and I got a bedroom inspiration from that website for my middle daughter. Her favorite color is blue and I found a fabulous room and had originally planned to paint all the furniture black but didn't turn out that way. I have two black pieces, a white and a pink...Anyway getting off track here....like I said I had planned to paint everything black but I just wasn't seeing the secretary in black; just white. So I spray painted the whole thing (I love spray paint to brushing anyday) Krylon---it is the best spray paint there is. Took only 3 cans to do the entire thing. Lined the inside of the hutch with scrapbook paper. Had planned on getting new knobs but had some leftover pink paint from the baby's room and just thought I'd try to paint them and see how they looked considering you can buy a new dresser for how much hardware costs!! I really liked the way it ended up looking, so put a couple coats of clear sealant over the knobs when I was done and it's never chipped a bit.